Just Show Up

Dead Leaves From the Ditch - 2018


I took the plunge and joined Robyn Mcclendon's Art Mythos online class.  Its designed to help you return to a more regular art practice with prompts, video tutorials and a Facebook group. The other students are a rich mix of artists in several media - a very interesting group.

I started out strong but sense I'm   s l o w l y   fading again.  Blaming the disarray of my studio or a jumbled schedule or that my silly healing arm hurts is my current way of avoiding.  If I actually go over to the studio and sit there a while I seem to be able to muster a little effort.  Yes I've had teachers and instructors who encourage me to 'just show up' and the work will find me.  And so here I am.

Part of my ennui is the current state of the world.  Being of 'a certain age' I am demoralized that this is the world I'm leaving to my children...and yours.  I am frantic to take my granddaughter to the Grand Canyon in case it disappears and to the Redwoods in California before they are gone.  She doesn't understand yet and so isn't excited about the prospect - she'd love Disneyland or something similar much more.

Corny, but art saves me.  And I think it is scientifically proven now that art releases endorphins or somesuch and temporarily removes the angst of every day living.  Art helps us to remember that there is love and beauty and thinking people in the world.


*****************************************


Yoko Inoue
Yoko Inoue

 My package from Japan arrived (to my delight and the delight of my local post office - covered in colorful stamps).  I had ordered two lovely books by artist Yoko Inoue - both on collage making and both in Japanese.  In between Schwitter-esque works of collage and intriguing photography, the artist shows some step by step instructions.  I might be able to learn more if I could read the original Japanese. Inoue's current work seems to be multi-disciplinary and includes performance, video and sculptural.

now...to show up.


Comments

Popular Posts